Towing Ability Half-Ton vs. Three-Quarter Ton vs. Full-Ton Trucks
Carville’s Auto Mart has the best truck inventory in the area, with a wide selection of models that can fit any driving or towing need. Whether you’re looking for a smaller pickup with nice fuel economy or you have a construction or towing business and you need a big rig, we have just the ride for you. To help you find the ideal truck, we consider the towing ability of the half-ton trucks on our lot, as well as our three-quarter ton trucks and full-ton trucks. We’ll also look at bumper pulls and fifth wheels to round out this towing extravaganza. So please enjoy, and we hope to see you at Carville’s Auto Mart!
Ford F-150 vs. Chevy Silverado 1500: Towing
Half-ton trucks like the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado 1500 are basically the mainstream idea of what a popular truck is. They typically weigh around 5,000 pounds and more recent models can tow around 10,000 pounds.
Towing Capacity of Three-Quarter Ton Trucks: Ford F-250 / Silverado 2500 / Sierra 2500 / Ram 2500
The three-quarter ton class of trucks weigh more than the half-ton type, usually in the neighborhood of 6,000 pounds, and can tow heavier loads, like 13,000 or 14,000 pounds.
We have models from years besides 2011-2016, but we’ll stick with the most recent half-dozen years and show the towing capacity ranges of popular three-quarter ton models:
- GMC Sierra 2500: 10,200 (2011) to 14,500 pounds (2016)
- Chevy Silverado 2500: Up to 14,500 pounds in 2016 models
- Ford F-250: 12,500 pounds (all years)
- Ram 2500: 10,100 (2011) to 11,890 pounds (2016)
Towing Capacity of Full-Ton Trucks: Ford F-350 & F-450 / Silverado 3500 / Sierra 3500 / Ram 3500
If you’re looking for a big rig that can tow as much as a superhero, then this is where you want to be. These full-ton trucks can tow in excess of 30,000 pounds.
Again, we have models from years besides 2011-2016, but we’ll stick with the most recent half-dozen years and show the towing capacity ranges of some popular full-ton models:
- Ford F-450: 17,500 (2011) to 19,000 (2016) pounds
- Ram 3500: 13,950 (2011) to 31,210 (2016) pounds
- GMC Sierra 3500: Up to 14,200 pounds
Towing Capacity of Toyota Tundra / Tacoma vs. Nissan Titan / Frontier
The Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan are in the “half-ton” class of trucks, while the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier are a class lower, and are firmly in the light-duty pickup class.
- Nissan Titan: 9,300 pounds (2011) to 12,314 pounds (2016, diesel models)
- Nissan Frontier: 6,500 pounds
- Toyota Tundra: 10,400 pounds (2011) to 10,500 pounds (2016)
- Toyota Tacoma: Up to 6,800 pounds
Fifth Wheels vs. Bumper Pulls
At Carville’s, we have fifth wheels and bumper pulls, both which you can hitch up to your truck to carry heavy loads.
In addition, Carville’s is now a B&W hitch dealer, a great American-made trailer hitch product.
- Fifth wheels hitch over the rear axle of your truck and serve as a “fifth wheel.” They handle better than bumper pulls and are ideal for: Large space or storage needs, long-distance traveling.
- Bumper pulls hitch at the rear bumper of your truck. They tend to be more affordable than fifth wheels and are ideal for: Hauling animals, short trips.
Find a Rugged Truck at Carville’s Auto Mart
Carville’s Auto Mart is located at 2507 Highway 6 and 50 in Grand Junction, CO. We serve the neighboring area which includes Delta, Rifle and Aspen, among others.
We are always looking to take trade-in vehicles or purchase vehicles from you, and we are looking to buy most vehicle types, including sedans, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, ATVs/UTVs, watercraft, motorhomes, and more. So come on over to Carville’s Auto Mart to see our wide selection of vehicles and to meet our friendly staff. For more about our outdoor vehicle inventory or local events, check back here at the official Carville’s Auto Mart blog.